What sets a Mamas with Cameras workshop apart from the rest? Well, it’s our unique combination of three important parts of photography education: instructors, approach, and continuing education. Read on to find out more!
Our Instructors (Mary and Wenmei)
- The workshops are taught by two professional photographers who specialize in newborn, child and family portraiture. This means that we have a ton of tips and tricks specific to capturing those special moments with your children and families!
- Did you notice we said TWO photographers? Yep, you get two instructors, which means twice the knowledge, twice the experience, twice the amount of personal attention, and twice the fun! (It also means you have an alternative if one of our personalities or teaching styles doesn’t work for you.)
- Mary is a Canon shooter and Wenmei shoots everything (although she sticks with Nikon for most of her client shooting). Between us, we cover all the major camera brands out there and can give you insight into the particulars of each brand. We also make sure we’re current on the technology, so we can help you get the most out of your camera!
- Mary and Wenmei have different yet complementary teaching styles. Mary is a hands-on experiential learner and teacher. Combined with her background in marketing, she taught herself photography by diving in and figuring out what she likes while seeking instruction to fill in the blanks. Wenmei, on the other hand, is a nerd. Not only is she classically trained in art and design through her background as an architect and digital creative, she is currently the managing editor at DPReview.com, where she works with and learns about all of the latest digital photography gear and techniques. Together, we’ve got you covered.
- We’re both local mamas (between us, we have five children under the age of 10). So we know where you’re coming from as a mama, we know the challenges you face when you photograph your families, and we know what it’s like to photograph in Seattle (with our unique light, weather, and topography). We also carry wipes in our bags in case there are any spills during class.
The Workshop Structure
- One of the most common comments we hear is how great our women-only format is. We love the men in our lives, but we appreciate having a workshop where we can interact as women, with women. It’s a special energy that keeps our workshops warm, supportive, safe and filled with laughter.
- We think the best way to learn is to get out your camera and shoot! We make sure to go through the fundamentals, but we give you lots of time for guided practice.
- We focus on the practical and teach concepts that you can apply immediately to improve your photographs. We know that most people aren’t super interested in the technical details of digital photography (but Wenmei is happy to chat about it if you’ll let her), so we present the information in friendly, easy-to-understand terms.
The Next Step
- Once you take a workshop, we hope that you will continue to learn with us! We offer follow-on workshops for more advanced topics, and we also look forward to seeing you at our monthly meetings. Those are great opportunities to continue your own exploration into photography and to learn and grow with a group of like-minded women.